Curriculum writing for the Culturally Responsive Educator
The Urban Dictionary offers these definitions for a Woke Cypha:
Being Woke means being aware. Knowing what’s going on in the community. Relating to Racism and Social Injustice
Cypher or “cypha”:
1. Anything cyclical. If you’re freestyling, you rap in a cypher (one after the other). Building and or countering off of ideas given prior. (Bold our emphasis)
2. The process of tapping into your subconscious. A state of mind where thoughts and actions flow from your mind rather than being instrumented. Clearly shown in freestyle/beatbox circles and breakdancing.
The CREAD Woke Cypha sessions will provide a supportive and collaborative environment for educators to engage in meaningful ideation and construction of curricula based on current instructional goals creating innovative, culturally relevant and responsive lessons and learning experiences. In the spirit and tradition of free-styling teachers gather in and across content areas to formulate new ideas, activities and learning experiences that are centered in the development and mastery of academic skills and positive racial identity development for students of the African Diaspora. These learning experiences engage students in the development of their socio-political consciousness and aid in the construction of their ability to be agents of change for their generation and communities.
If you want to join the Cypha here’s what you need to know:
- Preference will be given to those who can commit to coming to all 7 sessions.
- You must apply using a unit that you already have that you want to revamp. Applicant to the program are required to submit a unit prior to enrolling in the sessions. All units be submitted by February 21st, 2017. Units will be reviewed by CREAD staff prior to the 1st session.
- You must agree for your revamped unit to be featured on the ESI and CREAD websites. All units must be finalized by June 3rd.
- You will be asked to sign a media release form to document our journey together.
- You will be paid PER SESSION for your involvement. *As per the collective bargaining agreement, eligible employees will be compensated with per session for attendance, participation and successful submission of their unit.
- If you have more questions email: email@example.com. But, if you’re ready to register click here